Skip to main content

Should I try a pole class?

Should I try a pole class?

YES! The answer is yes! I'm betting that you aren't really asking if you should, you're really just seeking affirmation. Because let's be honest, there's a bit of a stigma attached to this ever popular fitness class.

What would people say if they knew you were dancing around a vertical piece of chrome plated steel in a pair of teeny tiny shorts? What would they say if they saw you lifting your own weight, climbing 13 feet, flipping and hanging upside down. What would they say about how radiant, strong and confident you are? Is what they might say more important than what you might feel? You see where I'm going with this?

Pole dancing/fitness is what you make it. Just like finding the right yoga class/instructor you'll want to find a class that inspires you. Every instructor has their own unique style and way of teaching so try a few. Your first class will be clumsy, you'll feel awkward and you WILL be a hot mess. But, if you leave that class smiling, laughing and wanting to do it again then trying a pole class was absolutely the right choice.


So stop seeking affirmation and just GO FOR IT!


BE STRONG.  BE CONFIDENT.  BE YOU.


-Khristen Pahler
Co-owner/Instructor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yoga isn't for me.

Yoga. Often I tell people they should try yoga. And often I watch their faces contort with such abhorrence that I can barely make out the person I'm speaking to. Yoga. Why the fear? Why so much hate and disdain? Why so many excuses? I'm not flexible...I don't have any balance...I'm too fidgety. PEOPLE! (yes I'm shouting) This is why you start doing yoga! Allow yourself to be a beginner. When you learned how to ride a bike did you just hop on and ride like the wind? No, you had a few stumbles but you kept trying because you wanted that freedom. That is exactly what you will experience with your yoga practice. But in the end...freedom. Freedom to connect from within yourself, freedom to feel and move and freedom of your worries and cares even if just for a moment. With all that being said, let me take you back to the start of my yoga practice... 5 years ago I could not touch my toes. Seriously. I couldn't do the splits, I couldn...

The Curious Case of Creative Movement - Part 2 - Carissa Laitinen - Kniss

The Curious Case of Creative Movement Part 2 What It Is As an incoming freshman at TWU, I thought I knew what movement was, what dance was, and how to create it and perform it.  I thought wrong.  I had excellent training growing up, far superior to most young girls going to dance studios.  We were required to take Pilates, taught good foundational elements, excellent technique, and I had some of the best teachers in the nation.  I was afforded opportunities to take classes from world renowned teachers and artists of dance.  I attended classes with professionals from Joffery, American Ballet Theater, The Royal Winnepeg Ballet, and former prima ballerinas from the Russian Ballet Academy.  I went in a strong confident dancer that freshman year and was knocked flat on my ass with knowledge that made my brain melt and my heart hurt.  I was attending one of the top ten universities in the nation for dance an...

How do you find a great fitness instructor?

Whether it's for a group class or private training, finding a knowledgeable, quality instructor is a difficult task for most people. It's a little intimidating to put the care of your body into the hands of another individual. Especially one who will be challenging your physical shortcomings. Here are a few questions you should ask  yourself and your potential trainer... Are they a certified trainer? If so, where did they obtain their certification and how long have they been instructing? This is not to deter you from training with a newly certified instructor. There are many "freshly certified" instructors that have been training independently, have a degree in physical fitness/dance/kinesiology or were professional dancer/performers prior to entering the field. That being said, research their certification to be sure it is credible and requires practice/mentor hours. Do they have experience/work history? Have they put in the hours of continuing ed...