Skip to main content

Why we hold SGK so dear to our hearts...

As most of you already know, Twisted Bodies is closely associated with Susan G. Komen. We are an official donation center and participate in the Denton Race for the Cure every year by donating our time, services and funds. Khristen is a certified Pink Ribbon Therapeutic Trainer and works to promote therapeutic Pilates training for women pre and post-op mastectomy. What you don't know is why we hold this charity so near and dear to our hearts. Khristen's mother, Sharon Stanley passed away from breast cancer in 2009 at the age of 52.

This is her story...

On September 26th of 2009 my sister got married. My mom, Sharon helped her plan every detail of her special day. She drove from Sanger to Victoria to scout and book locations, went wedding dress shopping and made countless trips to Hobby Lobby. We had many late night phone calls discussing catering, centerpieces and whether to throw rice or blow bubbles at the sendoff. I remember my sister insisting that my mom not wear her wig because she finally had a nice head full of hair again.

The wedding was beautiful. My sister looked gorgeous and my mom was beaming with pride, there was nothing that could remove her smile. That day we were all surrounded by love and family and friends. It was perfect. It was also the last day they would see my mom truly alive. While she knew this, it was in her nature to make sure everyone was carefree, happy and well taken care of. This was exactly how she wanted everyone’s last memory of her to be. On October 15th she passed away.

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 42. She underwent a mastectomy, reconstructive surgery and months of chemotherapy. Just before her 5 year “all-clear” appointment she discovered another lump. The breast cancer had returned and it had metastasized into bone cancer spread throughout her spine and pelvis. Even with the lumpectomy and more chemo her diagnosis was now terminal. She and I had weekly chemo lunch dates where I would bring Chick-Fil-A and we would sit and laugh and tell jokes while she knitted baby afghans, scarves and hats. She always kept us warm. After lunch she would return to work. She was incredibly dedicated to her position as an executive assistant to the president of the company. Many of the people she worked with didn’t even know she had cancer and it wasn’t something she broadcasted. I remember her telling me when I asked her if she was going to quit working “No, it’s just a condition that needs to be monitored, almost like diabetes. “ And she worked until her body could no longer carry her.

She lived with breast cancer for 10 years, 5 of those years being a terminal diagnosis. During that time she welcomed two granddaughters into the world and they adored her. She attended every birthday party, performance and holiday gathering. She still came over to take care of me while I was sick, helped to move my sister into her college dorm, my brother into his apartment and me into my house. She traveled to the Caribbean, Hawaii, England and Ireland. She traveled the US with my dad on the back of a Harley. A little cancer diagnosis was not going to hold her back from living her life.


My mom was my very best friend and I have to admit that I probably spent more time with her than my own husband. She lived and loved greatly and in return was loved more than she could ever know. Because of her I strive every day to live my life to the fullest, without complaint. Her diagnosis was not without struggle. I stood by her while she recovered from painful surgeries which stripped her womanly form, held her hand while we shaved her head and sat on the bathroom floor with a cold cloth pressed against the back of her neck after her chemo treatments. Through it all she spent her time comforting those she loved. She is my reason for giving back to all of the women living with cancer.

I love and miss you always mom - Khristen


“I don’t want people to remember that I died of breast cancer, I want them to remember how I lived with it.” – Sharon Andersen Stanley

A note from Khristen…
Whether you have a family history of breast cancer or not please do not forgo your regular check-ups. My mother was the first in her family to have breast cancer. Both times she found the lump herself through self examination. For all of you small breasted women out there please know that a sonogram may provide better detection. My mom found her first lump after getting an "all clear" mammogram (she was a 34A) and was already stage 2. We have self examination shower cards in the studio if you would like one, just ask. Take care of them boobies!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should I try a pole class?

Should I try a pole class? YES! The answer is yes! I'm betting that you aren't really asking if you should, you're really just seeking affirmation. Because let's be honest, there's a bit of a stigma attached to this ever popular fitness class. What would people say if they knew you were dancing around a vertical piece of chrome plated steel in a pair of teeny tiny shorts? What would they say if they saw you lifting your own weight, climbing 13 feet, flipping and hanging upside down. What would they say about how radiant, strong and confident you are? Is what they might say more important than what you might feel? You see where I'm going with this? Pole dancing/fitness is what you make it. Just like finding the right yoga class/instructor you'll want to find a class that inspires you. Every instructor has their own unique style and way of teaching so try a few. Your first class will be clumsy, you'll feel awkward and you WILL be a hot mess. But,

Don't You Have A Life?

Don't You Have A Life? We get it, we're cool, the studio is fun, you want to be part of the crowd, you don't want to miss out on anything, the list of reasons goes on and on and on...... But, really DON'T YOU HAVE A LIFE? We like having you in the studio, we really do, just repeat these words to yourself "Training Bodies Intelligently".  It's our studio motto, yes, and it is so much more than words on a wall or website. That phrase is everything we stand for, it is what we have built our business from and what we hope to inspire and instill in each of you.  We get it, you open up your laptop or log into that pink app on your phone, and the excitement hits, your adrenaline shoots up, and that euphoric feeling begins and before you know it you have scheduled your entire life away for the next month.  Each hour, day after day, you find yourself cloaked in a pink haze listening to Hippie Sabotage and following the directions of your instruct

How we became the Twisted Twosome

A lot of people ask us how this Twisted little business came together and how we met, so here's our story... Once upon a time there was a little boy and a little girl. They both had feisty mommies that wanted the very best for them everyday so they were enrolled for preschool at a prestigious Baptist church. Both children were rare in their breed with glistening golden locks and the bluest of eyes, they had an instant connection. They played together at every recess, sat together in class, drew each other pictures and even snuck into each others cots at nap time. Their mommies didn't know of their special bond until one day they were each called into the directors office. There sat their beautiful babies with grins on their faces. Their infraction, kissing and snuggling at nap time. While their mommies thought it was funny, the church did not. Try as they might the children could not be separated. This led to the exchange of numbers and many play dates. Watching their